Saturday, October 28, 2017

Breast Cancer Awareness Should Not be Just One Month of the Year

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month—be sure to schedule an appointment with your doctor to have an exam. Men need to remind their doctors, as well as it is not longer only a women’s issue. Remind your close friends to do the same and maybe schedule appointments for the same time so you can go together and have moral support. It is important for us to be educated about all forms of cancer and to take the necessary steps to stay healthy. Visit www.breastcancer.org to answer any questions you may have. I am a breast cancer survivor and deeply grateful. I remember getting the diagnosis and just going completely numb. I was like a zombie going through motions of my life, getting up and going to work, cooking dinner, trying to focus but all I could think was “I have cancer.” My friends and family got me through it also a genius doctor who “got me” and understood that for me, it would be a physical, emotions and also spiritual journey and had deep discussions about all that. I am lucky in so many way, being “free and clear” for over a decade now and also that I bonded with my female physician and she asked me to stay involved in her practice as a counselor for the newly diagnosed. I am honored and each time I work with someone who has just found out they have cancer, I offer my story and all the success stories I have witnessed while listening to their fears, dishing out lots of hugs and helping them in any way I can. This is one of the best things I do with my life- using my wisdom to help another. 

No comments: